~

“Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.” ~ Jonathan Swift

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

And that makes three

It's been an eventful year for ol' Rightie here.  A post-operation follow-up appointment last week ended in...you guessed it, another Avastin injection.  This makes the third injection in 2009, and I haven't even made it to the midpoint.  

Am I upset? Actually, not really.  I was pumped for last week's appointment and convinced that there would be better news.  In a sense, there was; I was able to read more of the eye chart than previously.  Doctor wanted to give me another injection because he's confident that I can regain more and more eyesight with increased injections.  At first, I was confused because I used to associate these terrible injections with bad news.  Turns out, I have had very little exposure to these treatments compared to the typical MFC patient.  Some folks have as many as 22 injections in one year!  Holy cow!  Though neither of us anticipate 22 treatments, we both understand that I will probably have more injections as the months go by.  

Indeed, I honestly feel like I am gaining more and more eyesight as the days go by.  I have another appointment in June, so I'm quite hopeful.  My doctor has also tweaked terminology with the billing department, and I am no longer required to pay for a single lick of these injections!  


2 comments:

  1. awesome, awesome, awesome news on all fronts--being able to read more of the chart and getting greedy insurers to pay for your injections!!! xo, trinh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that! the diet must be working too!!! lots of fruits and veggies = lots of beta-carotene which is cleaved by your body to form retinal (molecule used for eyesight). Maybe all those antioxidants from the veggies are scavenging free radicals and preventing further damage.

    ReplyDelete