~

“Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.” ~ Jonathan Swift

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Healthy Superbowl Eating

We're having a few friends over for the Superbowl tomorrow. While I'm still sad about giving up beer, I am very happy to have found a way to enjoy buffalo wings--healthy style! Buffalo wings, I love buffalo wings! In fact, my many attempts to become vegetarian in the past have all failed because of my love for these cute little bits of delicious-ness. You can imagine how horrified I was to find out that they rank high on the list of prohibited pro-flammatory foods (oh, the curse and injustice!). BUT I was willing to give it up if it meant, obviously, the health of my vision.

So, for a couple weeks, I just resigned myself to never having buffalo wings ever again. Then, the boy realized that there was probably a way to bake them. I was not convinced; how could you possibly replicate all that goodness through baking? A quick internet search later and I found a highly rated recipe for healthy buffalo wings. I plan to substitute the margarine with butter, which I am allowed to eat in extreme moderation and is preferred over margarine. I also found a healthy blue cheese dip. Not too sure how tasty it will be so I might end up doctoring some ingredients. All in all, I'm pleased and relieved that I can at least enjoy some party food on my own terms. A couple weeks ago, I went to a friend's house to watch the game and almost died listening to everyone crunch on Doritos. Hopefully, tomorrow's recipes will be tasty so I won't feel as left out anymore.

UPDATE: The wings turned out really well! I couldn't even tell the difference between baked and fried---actually, I thought they were better than most wings I've ordered. We ended up broiling them for less than 15 minutes because our oven gets super hot. Also, we added some Sriracha Chili Sauce to the hot sauce and that added a nice kick. The dip was so-s0. Next time I might just stick with a low-fat sour cream and yogurt base (cottage cheese is kinda weird). It will also be fun to branch out into types of chicken wings, like a honey-ginger glaze or something. I'm still not supposed to have wings all that often so they will still be a treat, but this was a very nice healthy-ish alternative!

2 comments:

  1. phoi has a recipe similar to the one you found. but it's simpler. skip the boiling and go straight to broiling (after you've salted the chicken). broil until crispy on one side, flip and do the other. then mix it with 1.5 tbsp melted butter with about 1/2 cup chohula sauce. it's super good. i'm not sure what you can and can't eat but check out this chicken sandwich recipe from bobby flay. it's ridiculously good. if you can't have bread, you can just make the chicken and the relish and eat it with quinoa.

    Chicken Torta with Avocado Relish, Watercress and Creamy Chipotle Dressing

    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/01/30/earlyshow/contributors/bobbyflay/main4764044.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I was just going to send you that recipe. The chohula hot sauce is key. You just melt butter and add the hot sauce (to whatever portion you feel like) then pour it over the broiled chicken.

    hey is there somewhere on this blog that tells you what exactly hte anti-inflammatory diet include or I should say exclude?

    ReplyDelete