~

“Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.” ~ Jonathan Swift

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fruit Pops

I am an ice cream junkie.  Since starting the new diet, I have been pretty good at regulating my intake of junk food.  But I have two weaknesses: ice cream and potato chips.  While I haven't quite figured out how to kick the potato chip habit, I have found some solace in popsicles when it comes to my ice cream cravings!

Are they like ice cream?  No, not quite.  But they do the trick when I need something sweet and cool on hot summer days.

I used Tovolo popsicle molds and got them at Whole Foods for $12.  Typically, they are only $1 less so it wasn't bad for an impulse buy.  They work great and don't take up too much room in the freezer either.



(This popsicle features from top to bottom: mango/peach, mixed berry, and kiwi flavors.)

To make the popsicles, I use frozen fruit, nonfat yogurt, fresh lime juice, and agave (optional) for extra sweetness.  There is no hard and fast recipe, as I think much of this depends on your personal tastes for sweet vs. tart and creamy vs. icy.

Here are the basic steps:

1) Combine frozen fruit and a small amount of yogurt in a blender or food processor.


2) Taste the mixture and add more fruit, lime, or agave as needed.

3) Once it reaches the desired taste, pour the mixture into the pops molds.

4) For the striped effect (featured in the picture), you will have to make three separate batches of flavors.  Pour the first layer in, freeze for approximately 30 minutes, then repeat with each successive layer.

Tip: When ready to eat, run the frozen molds under some warm water to help loosen the popsicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment