~

“Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.” ~ Jonathan Swift

Monday, August 8, 2011

Hello again.

It has been a really long time since I last blogged.

I thought that 2009 was a bad year. But then, 2010 came along just to prove me wrong. It was not kind, and I spent most of that year trying to cope with the sadness that comes with losing loved ones. Keeping up with my blog became difficult, and I thought less and less about my vision situation. I ate terrible food...sometimes, I did not eat. I didn't exercise. I didn't sleep. I hardly saw friends. Most of the time, I was very stressed.

I still kept up with my doctor's appointments, however. And it was strange because in the midst of my toughest time, my vision did not worsen. This was confusing, as I was certain that my extraordinary stress levels would usher in a wave of inflammation.

At the time, I was mainly relieved that I did not have one more thing to worry about. My energies were being devoted elsewhere, and I really did not have time for Avastin injections, waiting my eyes to adjust after dilation, going to the pharmacy to fill prescriptions, etc.

As time went on, however, I realized that something very significant was happening.

I am trying to figure it out. After all, I began this blog with the intent to track my diet and see how it might positively affect my MFC. Throughout 2010 (and a good chunk of 2011), I ate some really junky junk. I'm talking Fried Chicken and Waffles--for brunch.

Perhaps the diet was just a theory.

A part of me was happy--I could eat processed flour and meat and dessert! So, I did, and it was really all just delicious. But a few months ago, I started feeling suspicious. Lately, I just don't trust the universe. A nagging feeling sometimes comes over me that my MFC will come back with a vengeance, spurred by my terrible eating habits.

So, I am reframing my relationship to MFC and my diet. I've decided that I will not strictly adhere to my anti-inflammation diet. During the week, I make a concerted effort to eat very healthy--mainly vegetarian or pescetarian, whole grain. and low-sugar. On the weekends or when socializing, I eat and drink mainly whatever strikes my fancy. Most of the time, however, I eschew dessert or only have one bite. I drink lots of green tea and take my Lovaza pills daily.

I'm trying to be better about my diet, though. If anything, I'll be healthy on many levels. On that note I will share with you what I ate for dinner tonight:

Roasted beets
Potato and Onion Pierogies (I limited myself to 5 pieces)
Baked Spaghetti Squash w/ carrots, sugar snap peas, and feta

No comments:

Post a Comment