~

“Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.” ~ Jonathan Swift

Monday, August 22, 2011

Healthy Vegetarian Sandwich

As I began looking for healthier ways to approach my lunchbox, I realized that it was difficult to find a meal that was filling, convenient, and healthy. Eating dinner leftovers can get routine, so I began brainstorming ways I could create a healthier sandwich.

One day, I decided to opt for lunch at a local vegan spot and grabbed a Mock Chicken Club. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was not "mock chicken" but actually a thick slab of tofu, which keeps in line with my low-processed food limit.

Try this tasty sandwich, and let me know what you think!

Tofu Club Sandwich

hearty multigrain bread
light mayonnaise
basil pesto
olive oil
1 container of extra firm tofu
three slices of vegetarian bacon
baby spinach

1. Slice the tofu into 4 large triangles of equal size. I usually slice a rectangular block of tofu in half, to make two thinner rectangles. Then, I bisect each into two triangles. Dry each piece thoroughly

2. Drizzle olive oil on slices. Bake tofu in a 400 degree oven until pieces are chewy and have formed a golden firmness. You can also add slices of veg-bacon in the same pan, but make sure to take it out after 10 minutes. Let cool.

3. Mix mayonnaise and pesto together in a bowl. I like to mix to taste but I find that 2:1 ratio of mayo to pesto adds a nice flavor.

4. Spread the pesto-mayo mixture on bread, add two tofu triangles, veg bacon, and generously heap baby spinach on top. Slicing the bread into triangles (following the tofu slices) makes for a hand-y sandwich!

* If you don't have pesto handy, you can also use hummus or whole-grain mustard as a flavorful spread. I also like to add mustard to the pesto mixture for extra kick.






No comments:

Post a Comment