~

“Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.” ~ Jonathan Swift

Friday, October 2, 2009

Ominous News

I usually check out the New York Times' "Health" section for healthful (and often anti-inflammatory) recipes.   What I found today was disturbing.  Before I could even check out a recipe, I was distracted by another link.  Check out this alarming article on curtailing Avastin's use.

I know this article mainly pertains to Medicare, but I can't help worrying.  What may this mean for me and my insurance coverage at some point in the future?  

Avastin has been the only treatment that has worked for me.  Granted, my doctors and I have not found anything close to a cure for whatever this Multi Focal Choroiditis may be...however, the Avastin has often staved off blindness in a pinch for me.  To complicate matters, at my last appointment, I was told that my insurance was not pleased with my latest Lucentis injection and threatened to pull my coverage on that one.   The NYTimes article hinted that doctors would then be encouraged to switch to Lucentis, which I definitely can not afford at face value.  If I now am in danger of losing Avastin, this could be very bad, no good news...



No comments:

Post a Comment